Adam J. Suarez, Ph.D.
Data Scientist, Statistician, Mathematician
My Career in Industry
I've been very fortunate to work for two great companies since completing graduate school. My career has taken a lot of turns: I came very close to going to Medical School, did methodological Statistics research, pure Mathematics research, and have now fully embraced what I like to call "full-stack" Data Science.
- I've developed new methodology, particularly Bayesian models, for answering questions in genetics, crop-environment interaction, spatial statitics, and IT operations.
- I've led the analytics strategy by serving on project leadership teams, including leading automation efforts.
- I've developed anomaly detection techniques for time series data from machine logs.
- I've containerized processes for reproducible modeling and deploying applications.
- I've gotten data out of relational and non-relational databases, and built APIs in between to handle data.
- I've built dashboards using R Shiny, OpenCPU, Node.js, and Electron.
My Research Interests
I completed the Ph.D. programs in both Mathematics and Statistics at NCSU. Because of this, my dissertation was split into two unrelated halves. These topics continue to be my main research interests.
Subjective Bayesian Statistics
My interests in statistics primarily lie in Bayesian methodology. I am particularly interested in the analysis of functional data and nonparametric models, and, in addition, the asymptotic theory of Bayesian procedures from a frequentist point of view.
Nonlinear Functional Analysis
I am interested in the study on nonlinear systems of ordinary differential equations, and using tools from functional analysis to study their qualitative properties. In particular, the existence of solutions to nonlinearly-perturbed classical problems is a major interest of mine.
My Other Interests
Many of my interests have culminated in the redesign of this website. The skills that I've used for this website have also fed into my data science life and helped me understand what full-stack data science can be.
- I've been obsessed with Docker now for a few years, and use it everywhere in my personal and professional life.
- Along with Docker, platforms such as Cloud Foundry and Kubernetes are a big part of my hobbies these days.
- I've been experimenting with NoSQL databases, especially Redis and Elasticsearch.
I do have other hobbies outside of Tech. Weightlifting, photography, philosophy, and constitutional law are some of my favorite. Feel free to start debates on any of these topics with me.
This is the most secure method of contacting me. This message will be sent directly between servers that I control, after being encrypted with my public key. You can also download my public key (7E4F A632 8E56 8DFF 1030 8A24 997F EB01 C733 A013) if you'd like to encrypt any messages in the future.